Unlike towels, tampons actually go inside the vagina, making them much more discreet. You can run, play sports, go swimming, even wear your favourite bikini, in fact do everything you normally do without anybody knowing you’re on your period.
Just like towels, tampons come in a variety of different absorbencies to suit you and your flow – from lite for a very light flow to ultra for an extremely heavy flow. It’s not just size or absorbency though, there are two types of tampon to choose from as well. Non-applicator tampons are inserted and removed using your fingers. Applicator tampons are inserted using a plastic tube. Both work in the same way once inside, it just depends on which one you prefer to use.
Are tampons right for me?
You may be happy to continue using towels during your period, or as you get older you might want to try tampons (or even switch between the two). If you have only just started your periods we recommend you wait until you’ve had a least 6 periods before trying tampons.
Click here to watch our videos on how to use a tampon
mini tampons just for teens
Lil-Lets teens tampons
Available with or without an applicator, Lil-Lets teens tampons are really easy to insert. They are shorter and narrower for the perfect fit and are suitable for a light to medium flow. Unlike other tampons that expand lengthways as they absorb, ours gently expand widthways for a snug, more comfortable fit – so you’re much less likely to have any embarrassing leaks. Click here to see how our tampons work.
- Don’t worry if you can’t insert a tampon the first time you use one. It can sometimes take a bit of getting used to – but with practice you’ll be an expert it no time!
- Don’t use a tampon if you don’t have a period. If you think you might be due to start your period any day soon, you can always wear a liner to protect your pants.
- Tampons must be changed every for 4-8 hours.
- Always remember to remove your last tampon at the end of your period.
- Never insert two tampons at the same time. If you need more protection you can use a higher absorbency tampon.
- It’s a good idea to switch to towels from time to time. Lots of girls choose to wear towels at night.