What is Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS)?
Toxic Shock Syndrome, or TSS for short, is a very rare illness that affects a very small percentage of people. It can affect men and women of any age, and you can get it from things like burns, insect bites, after surgery, and occasionally when you’re on your period and are using a tampon.
TSS is extremely rare, so it’s unlikely you’ll ever experience it or even meet anyone who has. However, it can be fatal, so it’s worth knowing some of the warning signs.
There are several signs of Toxic Shock Syndrome you should look out for. It can start out a bit like flu, with a sudden high temperature of 102°F, sickness, diarrhoea, sore throat and a rash that looks a bit like sunburn.
If you’ve been using a tampon and have any of these symptoms, remove the tampon straight away and tell your parent or guardian that you’re unwell.
They should take you straight to your doctor or hospital just to make sure you haven’t got TSS.
If you’ve got a question about TSS, or anything else, you can Ask Vicki for advice or check our frequently asked questions.